Monday, August 17, 2009

Szomorú Vasárnap

So I had promised to talk about Gloomy Sunday yesterday... which for whatever reason it was, I didn't want to talk about since yesterday was a Sunday. *ignore this idk what I'm crapping*

Well, for a start, it's positively one of my all-time-favourite song. I've never heard any other song like this. Yes, it's extremely beautiful, even when it's painful. Can't even say it's sad, it's something way beyond boundaries that word could ever reach.

Oh, the lyrics...!
No wonder it was dubbed the Hungarian suicide song in the US. It was said to have inspired hundreds of suicide cases, even including the song composer himself, Rezső Seress. To the extend that the song had to be banned in some places... Sort of meta-legend. *idk, believe it or not*

According to Wiki, the song was composed based on a Hungarian poem "Szomorú Vasárnap", in which the singer mourns the untimely death of a lover and contemplates suicide.


This is the literal English translation of the poem...

Gloomy Sunday with a hundred white flowers
I was waiting for you my dearest with a prayer
A Sunday morning, chasing after my dreams
The carriage of my sorrow returned to me without you
It is since then that my Sundays have been forever sad
Tears my only drink, the sorrow my bread...

Gloomy Sunday

And here is the beautifully depressing song lyrics.

Sunday is gloomy,
My hours are slumberless,
Dearest, the shadows I live with are numberless
Little white flowers will never awaken you
Not when the black coach of sorrow has taken you
Angels have no thought of ever returning you
Would they be angry if I thought of joining you?
Gloomy Sunday

Gloomy is Sunday
with shadows I spend it all,
My heart and I have decided to end it all
Soon there'll be candles and prayers that are said I know,
But let them not weep,

Let them know that I'm glad to go...
Death is no dream,
For in death I'm caressing you
With the last breath of my soul I'll be blessing you
Gloomy Sunday

Dreaming,
I was only dreaming
I wake and I find you
Asleep in the deep of my heart
Dear,
Darling I hope that my dream never haunted you
My heart is telling you how much I wanted you
Gloomy Sunday

*author is not in any way responsible for any suicide or depression caused by the contents of this post...*
Happy appreciating the beauty of this song, everyone. ^_^

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dο not even know how І enԁed up here,
but I thought this poѕt was grеat.
I do nоt know who yοu are but certainly уou're going to a famous blogger if you aren't аlrеаdy ;) Cheers!


Here is my webρage tens unit

Anonymous said...

Thanks on yοur marvelous posting! I definitеly еnjoyеd reading іt,
уou will be a grеat аuthor. I will be surе to bookmагk уour blog
anԁ ωill often come back in the future. Ι want to encourage youгself tο continue уour great ωork, have a nice evening!


Havе a look at my webpage - roofing company oklahoma city