Thursday, August 20, 2009

Rest In Peace...

Results day today. I almost forgot about it, if not for all the shoutouts and conversations of my friends on facebook. Many were already waiting by the computer hours ago, anticipating... It reminded me much of the SPM day where all of us were at school early, loitering around the corridor, with feelings almost similar to this. And I really really hate these type of anticipation and suspense... Argh!!!


But I didn't get to check my results until much later.

I had a funeral to attend in the morning. OMG a funeral. For my uncle who passed away yesterday, due to cardiac arrest. No one expected this to happen, I mean, he wasn't old enough to die. It was shocking news to us. It was said that he was playing badminton with his friends, and when he sat down to rest, he just... died.

And just as funerals are, it was depressing, sad, and gloomy. My uncle's family weren't Christians, so they had a traditional Chinese funeral, with rituals, chants, and joss-sticks. We helped folding paper money for the dead. I watched my cousins performing rituals after rituals, with red-rimmed eyes, and tear-stained cheeks... it was heart-breaking, really. Hard as it is for all of us who lost a relative, it sure is double the pain to lose your own father.


They cloud of sorrow stayed on later at the cremation centre. It was the first time I'd ever been there, but I wish I never had to. There were rows of rooms equiped with furnaces, and there were tracks for the coffins to be rolled into the furnace... It was sorta, just like a factory. Everything was so... business-like. Made me wonder how lifeless could the dead be. *dunno if you get what I mean*


Neways, there was this one other family beside ours at the centre, performing the last ritual. And the one thing that caught my attention was that their coffin wasn't just like any other I'd ever seen. It was... small. Unmistakably a child's coffin. Such a devasting sight.
Why oh why?
Children were supposed to be running about; playing with toy cars, dolls and balls; putting off their homeworks for tomorrows which are sure to come; enjoying a dance class or two; talking about what they will be in future; waiting impatiently to grow up... And not lying cold and lifeless in tiny coffins.
No, no, no...


Rest in peace, uncle. Rest in peace, child. Let the families get over the grief of losing their loved ones, I pray. Bless my aunt and my cousins, guide them through this tough period of life. Father, grant us all from now on, more of joy and less of sorrow I pray. Have mercy. Amen.


And dear Father, thanks for my results.

No comments: