Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Samba

Had a bad dream yesterday. Woke up shivering from fear, tears flowing down my cheeks. Was still kinda shaken from it. Been so long I haven't had a bad dream. But then again, I never wanted to have bad dreams... and surely not dreams like these.


Whew, but I felt better after practising my dance today. Dancing always helps me to forget all my unhappy feelings, it helps clear my mind; it somehow gives me strength and happiness. I really do love dancing, with all my heart.
So now, I should really gear myself up a little to face the big day. Lolx...


So I forced myself to focus more on the Samba today. It's quite hard for me, cuz I'd never really learnt much of it, unlike the Cha Cha or the Rhumba which I am more familiar with. So for the whole 2 hours, I replayed my favourite Samba song "Que El Ritmo No Pare" by Patricia Manterola and danced to it. It is an excellente song with a nice Samba beat to it... 1 uh 2, 3 uh 4, 5 uh 6, 7 uh 8. 3 steps formed to 2 beats.
And it left me so exhausted (but still, happy) at the end
of the day. ^_^




The Samba is a Brazilian dance, which is normally a carnival dance. It is a dance that is supposed to excite people and to bring people into a trance. (Not that I could do that though) The dancer has to try for a flirting, exaggeratedly happy interpretation in this dance. And Samba is mostly expressed with hip movements. Swift, exaggerated hip movements. It's somewhat a bit similar to belly dance.


I guess I need more time and loads more practise to execute the personality of the dance well. Wish me luck.




No comments: