Saturday, August 16, 2008

Colours Of The Wind

Yes people, don't laugh. I entered the first ever dance competition in my life. No, it wasn't exactly the sort of dance competitions that I wished to enter, it's far far from that. It's a traditional dance competition. Not that there's anything cool to be expected here. But it's a competition all the same. however lousy it sounds.

We registered ourselves up 2 days before the competition. We never planned to enter in the first place. I don't know how we ended up submitting our names and coming up with a choreography in only a few hours. Never had I ever done a choreography in such a short time, and it's amazing how I was able to do it, with help from a couple of friends, of course. And the most amazing thing is, the choreography ended up being one of the best piece we have ever done!!! It's simply lovely. Compared to our other choreography which are somewhat, inexperienced and raw; this is simple, but delicate. I wished we could have more time to practise. Such a nice choreography, but too less time to practise. Our group of 8 dancers learnt all the steps and practised it in only 3/4 hours, and then it is presented onstage already. Imagine how seriously short of time we were! And on top of that, we stole a large chunk off our practise time to watch the Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony. Sweat.

Nevertheless, I am quite proud of our job. We didn't put in much effort, but we seems to end up gaining more than what we expected. We performed quite well for a dance practised for only a few hours; If I were the judge, I'll give 60%-synchronisation, 50%-emotion, 90%-choreography. ^-^ It really is an honest score.

Thanks friends for helping me choreographing the dance. It's somewhat a fusion dance; contemporary, chinese traditional, ballet and lyrical dancing. And the song's a typical ballet song which kids love to perform to--- Colours Of The Wind. Even our story sounds a little like "The Changeling", minus the props. Not that I know anything about Ballet, it's just that I've read some ballet books before.

So, our dance goes like this: It started with a group of 7 fairies, awakening from their deep slumber. They started playing & dancing around happily. Seven fairies with colourful clothes, dancing with bright pink ribbons. And then here I come, as a little girl, wondering into the land of fairies. Two friendly ones welcome me in, and tell me awesome stories. I tried to join them in their dances, but I find myself different. It was then I felt lost. And there were some other fairies who was hostile towards me. The leader of the fairies tried to bring her whole troop of fairies to detest me, to chase me away from their circle. I was lost and confused, sad and unaccepted. In the end, the fairies left me one by one, leaving me to do a sad dance, and to fall to the ground, out of exhaustion.

Dramatic right? I wonder how could I portray such a difficult role. The dances helped me a lot though. The only thing I have to do is to add in some emotion, lots of facial expression, and let the dance moves do it all. Sounds hard, yea? but I supposed I had tried my best. And I enjoyed it, very much. That's the only most important thing that matters, isn't it? That we enjoyed the whole dance.

Happy dancing, my friends. Nice working with you all.


No comments: